Skip to main content

Chester County Press

No injuries reported in fire at Oxford Terrace Apartments

07/28/2015 04:45PM ● Published by Steven Hoffman

 

 

Firefighters responded quickly to a blaze at the Oxford Terrace Apartments on Tuesday afternoon, July 28. Everyone was safely evacuated and no injuries were reported as several fire companies from neighboring communities assisted on the scene.

According to Bob Prettyman, Jr., the fire chief of Union Fire Company No. 1 Oxford, the accidental fire started in a fourth floor apartment at approximately 1:28 p.m. Officials believe that the fire started after food was left unattended on a stove. Smoke triggered an automatic fire alarm and firefighters responded quickly and were able to quickly bring the fire under control.

There are 48 units in Oxford Terrace Apartments, which is located on Market Street. At the time of the fire, 45 apartments were occupied. Officials said that only a few residents would likely be temporarily displaced as a result of the fire damage, and the Housing Authority of Chester County was assisting them. One initial estimate placed the amount of damage at $50,000.

Prettyman said that one firefighter was checked for heat exhaustion, but he was deemed to be okay. The temperature was in the nineties at the time the firefighters were extinguishing the blaze and helping residents.

One firefighter was seen safely returning a cat to her relieved owner. Several pets were taken out of the building, and no animals were believed to be injured.

Fire departments from several neighboring communities, including West Grove, Rising Sun, Cochranville, and Quarryville provided assistance during the call. An ambulance from Avondale and Medic 94 were also on the scene, as were officials from the Chester County Fire Marshal's Office and State Police Fire Marshal's Office.


Like what you're reading? Subscribe to Chester County's free newsletter to catch every headline