The community reaches out after fatal fire
● By J. Chambless
A 17-year-old girl was killed in a house fire on the morning of Oct. 26, and neighbors are raising money for the family.
By John Chambless
A neighbor has stepped up to help an
Oxford area family that was struck by tragedy last week.
A house fire reported on the morning of Oct. 26 claimed the life of a 17-year-old girl and has left her family homeless. The family is now staying with Chris and Barbara Phelan, who also live on the property.
“The mother who survived the fire is now with her boyfriend and his family who also reside on the property,” neighbor Jennie Leary wrote to The Chester County Press on Oct. 28. “We have started a gofundme to raise money for whatever they may need -- funeral costs, a new apartment, clothing, household items, etc.”
In the gofundme posting, Leary wrote, “The local fire department and paramedics arrived in just minutes, but it was too late. Friends and family stood by in horror and disbelief, learning that the family’s daughter did not make it out of the house. The Red Cross donated vouchers for food and clothing, but we cannot imagine all the things still needed, as all belongings were lost.”
The $5,000 goal of the campaign was well underway as of Monday morning, with several donors offering words of sympathy and comfort to the family.
Donations can be made at:
To contact Staff Writer John Chambless, email firstname.lastname@example.org.