Local Business Mentorship Chapter Wins Prestigious Annual Award
SCORE –www.score.org- mentors to America's small business, has named Chester and Delaware County, PA - www.chestercounty.score.org – its Chapter of the Year in recognition of the chapter's commitment to outstanding service in helping entrepreneurs start and grow businesses in FY2014. This chapter has achieved success by focusing on the needs of their small business clients, restructuring internal chapter governance, improving the volunteer onboarding process and forging strong, strategic partnerships with fellow organizations serving the local small business community.
"Chester and Delaware County is the model SCORE chapter for how we operate today. They are actively engaged in all facets of their community; partnering with any organization that help further SCORE's mission….Most impressively, they have 'exported' their culture, processes, and people to assist other chapters," said Steve Records, SCORE's Vice President of Field Operations.
"Our chapter is deeply honored to be recognized as the SCORE Chapter of the Year in 2015. The award is a wonderful tribute to the chapter's volunteers who spend thousands of hours each year strengthening the foundation of our community by working with aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners," said George Edwards, Chapter Chair of Chester and Delaware County SCORE. "SCORE's mentoring, workshops and seminars are a unique and invaluable resource for the small business community in our region."
Chester and Delaware County SCORE created the following successes since 2009:
- 206% increase in total services to small business clients
- 173% increase in educational workshop attendance
- 112% increase in volunteer membership
- 33% diversity in chapter volunteer membership
The chapter achieved these results through the following best practices:
Catering to client needs
- Mentoring services provided in 8 locations and during extended hours including nights and Saturdays
- Business educational seminars offered "anytime, anyplace," an effective email mentoring service and workshops catering to Hispanic clients
Improving chapter operations
- Established a new governance structure consisting of 21 members to achieve and sustain growth
- Created a 4-step orientation process to introduce new volunteers to SCORE's high standards
Developing strategic partnerships
- Created an Ambassador program which assigns a SCORE representative to each partner, sponsor and targeted business to ensure a steady flow of updates on workshops, roundtables and new counseling locations
- Partnered with 7 local Chambers of Commerce, the Chester County Economic Development Council, Chester County government,Chester County library system, local universities and high schools
The SCORE Chapter of the Year Award will be presented today, May 8, 2015, at the White House as part of National Small Business Week 2015.
To learn more about Chester and Delaware County SCORE, visit: www.chestercounty.score.org
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 10 million aspiring entrepreneurs. Each year, SCORE provides small business mentoring, workshops and education to more than 375,000 new and growing small businesses. More than 11,000 business experts volunteer as mentors in over 300 chapters serving local communities with entrepreneur education.
For more information about starting or operating a small business, call 1-800/634-0245 for the SCORE chapter nearest you. Visit SCORE at www.score.org. Connect with SCORE at www.facebook.com/SCOREFans and www.twitter.com/SCOREMentors.
SCORE in Chester & Delaware Counties has over 85 volunteers to assist those thinking of starting a business or those already in business who need help in growing their business. Their com... Read More »