Wyeth Studio restoration gets preservation award
The restoration of the Andrew Wyeth Studio by the Brandywine Conservancy & Museum of Art has received a 2014 Preservation Achievement Grand Jury Award from the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia. The studio was among 15 projects selected by a panel of historic preservation experts to receive this year's award.
Andrew Wyeth (1917-2009) painted in the Chadds Ford studio from 1940 until 2008. Thousands of works of art are associated with this studio, including those inspired by the farms and open space of the Brandywine Valley and the Brandywine River. The studio was given to the Brandywine Conservancy & Museum of Art by the artist's wife, Betsy James Wyeth, and opened for tours in 2012.
Built in 1875 as a one-room schoolhouse, the building also served as Wyeth's home for two decades. The Wyeths moved in shortly after their marriage in 1940, and lived there until 1961. Their two sons grew up there.
"We are honored to receive this award as recognition of our efforts to maintain the historic integrity of the Andrew Wyeth Studio, its contents, and its legacy as the artist's retreat," said Virginia A. Logan, executive director of the Brandywine Conservancy & Museum of Art. "Our collaboration with restoration architects Frens and Frens, LLC, and with W.H. Shainline, a preservation contractor, allows us to present the studio as it was when Andrew Wyeth was painting there."
In addition to major structural work, the project included attention to details such as preserving the aged appearance of the studio ceilings and walls, and restoring the original wide floor boards.
The Andrew Wyeth Studio is open for tours daily through Nov. 23, 2014. Visitors may also tour the N.C. Wyeth House and Studio and the nearby Kuerner Farm. For more information, call 610.388.2700 or visit www.brandywine.org.
You might also like