Several baking contests are taking place at the Unionville Community Fair. This year, the PA Preferred Chocolate, the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie, and the Angel Food Cake baking contests will be held on Saturday, Oct. 5 in the Red Barn on the fairgrounds behind Landhope Farms at the intersection of routes 926 and 82 in Kennett Square. Entries will be accepted between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., with judging taking place at 2 p.m.
This year's contests are sponsored by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's PA Preferred program, the PA Apple Marketing Program, the PA Egg Farmers and the PA State Association of County Fairs. This is the first year the PA Preferred program is a contest co-sponsor. A state-sponsored agricultural marketing program, PA Preferred identifies and promotes food and agricultural products grown, produced or processed in Pennsylvania. Contestants are encouraged to use as many Pennsylvania-produced ingredients as possible in their baking recipes. For a list of member locations, visit www.PAPreferred.com.
The Unionville Fair's baking contests are preliminary competitions for the Pennsylvania State Fair competitions in January 2014. The Unionville winner in each category will go on to the state level in Harrisburg, where first place prizes are $500.
All baking entries must be made completely from scratch. Other rules are:
1. Entrants must be Pennsylvania residents and there can only be one entry per person, per contest.
2. Entrants may not have won first place in this or any other fair in 2013.
3. Apple pie entries must include at least 60 percent apples in the filling.
4. Angel food cake entries must be made using eggs produced in Pennsylvania.
5. All recipes must be submitted with the entry, listing all ingredients on one side, and entrant's name, address and phone number on back side.
6. Refrigeration is not available at the fair or state fair sites. Entries that require refrigeration must indicate so in the recipe, and will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging.